CUNY Newswire – March 13, 2013
Dear Members and Friends of the CUNY community:
I urge you to visit www.supportcuny.org immediately, because CUNY’s State funding for the next fiscal year may be decided this week.
The New York State Legislature has passed differing one-house versions of the New York State Budget. The Senate and Assembly will form budget conference committees this week to establish targets for any additional funds that may be available.
- The Senate and Assembly provided $150 per FTE in additional community college base aid. CUNY seeks an increase in community college base aid to $260 per FTE.
- The Assembly provided $161 million in additional capital funds. CUNY seeks $1.2 billion in additional capital funds for our five-year plan.
- CUNY seeks $6 million more in state operating aid for students with disabilities, veteran students and increasing college work experience opportunities.
- Both houses restored child care funds to the level we sought.
- The Senate provided additional funds for contract courses and workforce development.
- The Assembly provided a moderate increase in SEEK and College Discovery Funds.
Please use the letters at www.supportcuny.org to contact legislators today, while the budget conference committee process is under way.
The conference committees are scheduled to finish work by this Friday, March 15th. The Legislature is quickly moving toward the April 1, 2013, budget deadline. The time to communicate is now!
Thank you for your help and support. Please send the letter below to your representatives in the New York State Legislature.
Senior Vice Chancellor for University Relations and Secretary,
Board of Trustees