The Ph.D. Program in History

at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York

GC Events

11/15- Driving Human Centered Solutions: Humanities and Social Sciences in the For-Profit Sector

Interested in applying your humanities/humanistic social sciences degree toward careers in the for-profit sector? Curious to learn about what different jobs there might look like, and how to go about pursuing these professions? Attend this panel to meet PhD alumni who work in a range of for-profit organizations. Learn how they got from graduate school to their current positions, what their day-to-day jobs are like on the ground, and practical tips for making the transition to the for-profit world. This panel will be Q&A format and open to student questions. Our panelists will be:

Brian DeGrazia, Learning Advisor @ Citi
I am a researcher, translator, and learning professional. Currently I work as a Learning Advisor at Citigroup, supporting the learning and development needs of employees around the globe in one of Citi’s institutional businesses. Prior to joining Citi I led graduate career programs and partnerships at the Modern Language Association (MLA), and I have written about doctoral education and graduate student labor in the Los Angeles Review of Books and Inside Higher Ed. I earned a PhD in Italian Studies from NYU in 2019.

Elizaveta Lyulekina, Research Editor @ Dow Jones
I am an experienced researcher and educator with a Ph.D. in French from The Graduate Center, CUNY. I left academia in January 2022, and since last February, I have been working as a research editor at Dow Jones Risk & Compliance where I collect, analyze, and process information on international and domestic sanctions in French, English, and Russian. Prior to joining Dow Jones, I worked as a French-language college instructor at public and private universities in New York and New Jersey. In my free time, I serve as a volunteer translator at Alexei Navalny’s Anti-Corruption Foundation.

Anders Wallace, Senior User Experience (UX) Researcher @ Google
User experience researcher and anthropologist. Passionate about designing tech to solve human challenges. I’ve built digital solutions for Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, hospitals, startups, and universities across verticals. Expert in multicultural research, foundational and evaluative research, design thinking, and designing for behavior change. Prior to joining Google, I worked as a UX Researcher for Rocket Mortgage; UX Designer for NBC Universal; and Market Researcher for Colgate-Palmolive. I earned my PhD in cultural anthropology from the GC in 2019.

Driving Human Centered Solutions: Humanities and Social Sciences in the For-Profit Sector

November 15th, 2022

4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EST

Zoom Registration Form