To celebrate the opening of our groundbreaking Center for the Study of Women’s History, the New-York Historical Society is inaugurating new fellowships devoted exclusively to the study of women’s history. This program will support the Center’s vision and enrich its intellectual network to include a diverse group of dedicated fellows and scholars. Together with New-York Historical staff, the selected fellows will explore four centuries of New York women’s history, offering a vibrant series of scholarly talks, rotating exhibitions, and new research opportunities.
Complementing the existing suite of research fellowships currently offered at New-York Historical, the new Andrew W. Mellon Fellowships in Women’s History will be specifically focused on the field of public history. Through this initiative, New-York Historical enriches its public reach by engaging a community of eminent scholars who serve as advisers and collaborate with curators and historians. We work with colleges and university faculties nationwide to produce and incorporate the latest scholarship in our programs and exhibitions for general audiences.
Applicants for the Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship must hold a Ph.D.—ABDs or other pre-doctoral candidates will not be considered. Fellows will be in-residence, full-time staff members for a period of two years between January 4, 2016, and December 31, 2017, with a stipend of $50,000 per year and full benefits.
Applicants for the Mellon Pre-doctoral Fellowship must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program in the humanities and be on track to completing their degree. Pre-doctoral Fellows will be in-residence between September 1, 2015, and August 31, 2016, with a stipend of $15,000 per year. This position is not full time and will not receive full benefits.
Application requirements for both fellowships include:
- A completed cover sheet (download here)
- A two- to three-page proposal describing the theme of the research project and the New-York Historical Society resources critical to the project
- A curriculum vitae
- An unofficial graduate school transcript
- A short writing sample of no more than 3,000 words or ten pages
- Three letters of recommendation that must be sent digitally to: Fellowships Coordinator at: email@example.com, with the subject line: “WOMEN’S HISTORY MELLON FELLOWSHIP- [LAST NAME]” before the deadline
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE ELEMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED:
- Via e-mail with the subject line WOMEN’S HISTORY MELLON FELLOWSHIP- [LAST NAME], no later than 11:59 pm on July 31, 2015, for Pre-doctoral Fellowship and 11:59 pm on October 13, 2015, for the Postdoctoral Fellowship, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.