College of Staten Island: Part Time Research Assistant Position for Graduate Students
An Associate Professor from the Department of Social Work at the College of Staten Island-CUNY is looking to fill a part-time position for Research Assistant through the position of “College Assistant.” She is a faculty member with a visual impairment and is looking to hire an advanced grad student (preferably a Ph. D. student) to assist with research and to facilitate informational access. Her ethnographic research is broadly in the areas of disability rights, neoliberal governance and social justice struggles in the context of South Asia.
You will be assisting with research pertaining to Disability Studies, International Development, Social Work, and the like. The position is for 15 hours/week at a rate of approximately $20/hour, with health insurance and other CUNY benefits after three months.
The position is ideal for doctoral students and those who want to develop their research and writing skills. Individuals with an interest in social justice, international development, and disability studies are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include assisting with the following:
- Academic research and writing–i.e., accessing interdisciplinary research resources, literature reviews, and editing
- Grant-writing–i.e., searching grant databases and grant proposal editing
- Course preparation–i.e., providing informational access for teaching and research materials, operating classroom technology, assisting with curriculum development and management of student records
- Other administrative duties as needed–i.e., document conversion/scanning, visual formatting, copyediting, etc.
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills and an ability to work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other online platforms used to streamline work (especially Blackboard)
- Background in the social sciences or humanities (graduate students are strongly encouraged to apply)
- Interest in social justice scholarship, international development, and disability issues strongly preferred
Please email Dr. Vandana Chaudhry with your Resume/CV at Vandana.email@example.com. For additional details, call (312) 451-3884 or (718) 982-3975.