The National Museum of African American History and Culture is focused on helping student participants (6th – 12th grade) of National History Day (NHD) improve their projects and enhance their skills as budding historians.
We are looking for graduates and postgraduates of history to provide guidance on NHD projects for students nationwide.
- Students will be able to submit their projects for electronic review from March 3 to March 17, 2021. We promise students to have their projects reviewed and returned within 14 days.
- Reviewers are required to complete at least five satisfactory reviews. Reviewers may complete up to 15 reviews, depending on the number of student submissions. A quality review can take three to four hours each.
- Reviews are to be completed by the reviewer offsite and returned to NMAAHC via email within ten days.
- Reviews will follow the rules and judging criteria [nhd.org] of National History Day and will seek to provide students with individualized comments that will strengthen students’ topic selection, research, historical arguments, and presentation.
- This is a paid opportunity. Reviewers will be compensated for administrative fees and then $30 for each satisfactory review.
Share your passion for history with those who are just embarking on their academic journeys in this complex and fascinating field. Reviewers are asked to complete a mandatory self-paced online training course available in February 2021.
If you would like to apply to serve as a reviewer, please send your resume to LearningAAHC@si.edu. In your email, please answer the following questions.
- Have you participated in the National History Day program? If so, in what way(s) and how long?
- Have you had experience working with or mentoring students in middle and high school grades?
We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until Friday, December 18, 2020 at 11:59 PM (EST), or until all reviewer spots are filled.