NY STATE COALITION FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
along with the CUNY Coalition for Students with Disabilities
WE NEED YOUR PARTICIPATION HERE! ~ BUSES PROVIDED!
FEBRUARY 11, 2019
10:00AM TO 3:00PM
EMPIRE STATE PLAZA CONVENTION CENTER
MEETING ROOM 1, ALBANY, NEW YORK
RALLYING FOR FUNDS TO SUPPORT STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES IN COLLEGES…
PRESS CONFERENCE AT 1:00PM AT THE MILLION-DOLLAR STAIRCASE IN THE NY STATE CAPITOL BUILDING
Details from the organizers (tentative):
Legislative Action and Advocacy Rally with Press Conference
The legislation being proposed supports additional funding and support for students with disabilities in higher education in NY State. It has been over twenty years since this budget has been increased, and so the “pie” has been cut into smaller and smaller slices for over two decades. This legislation is long overdue, and it is important to demonstrate that the student (and faculty and staff) population supports it.
- Buses leave John Jay at 7am and return 7pm, on Monday, February 11.
- All activities will be indoors, except when moving (about three blocks) from the convention center (activities 10am-3pm) to the state capitol for the press conference (1pm).
- The goal is to have at least ten people representing every CUNY college.
- The organizers have requested that participants wear paraphernalia with their college logo.
- SUNY SA will also be participating; this is an occasion for students (and faculty and staff) statewide to convene.
- There should be an opportunity for legislative action and advocacy training during the bus ride.
CCSD is requesting that interested participants sign-up, so that they can accurately assess the need for buses:
Participants willing to bring tablets** to form a “Skype brigade” by partnering with those participating virtually should contact the manager of GC student disability services, Clare Wilson (email@example.com).
**(with data service, in case there is no wifi access)