The Skyscraper Museum is a small unique institution located in downtown New York devoted to the study of high-rise building and city history. The Museum seeks a full-time Gallery Manager (5 days a week, museum hours 10-6, can be flexible on both days and hours). The Manager will report to the Director and oversee daily operations of its staff (6 to 8 interns and employees), help with research for its two annual exhibitions, oversee its on-line exposure and other special projects that the Director might require. For further information about the Museum, please refer to its website: www.skyscraper.org.
The Gallery Manager is the point person who oversees all museum projects and works closely with the Director and can effectively communicate and assist with all tasks and projects. The candidate should be a team player with an interest in architecture, history and urbanism and some experience in arts or non-profit administration.
Duties include overseeing or assisting with:
– All daily museum operations, including overseeing and assisting with daily tasks and projects and in the recruitment and hiring museum staff and interns.
– Researching and implementing exhibitions and special projects.
– Overseeing museum design and print functions. Some proficiency in Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop is preferred.
– Editing and updating the museum’s website in CMS as well as writing and sending email campaigns in Mail Chimp.
– Coordinating tours for college and professional level groups of museum exhibitions.
– Facility operations including fire safety, lighting, plumbing, etc.
This position is ideal for a highly organized person with some managerial experience and a background or knowledge in architecture, urban history, museum and/or arts administration. Candidate should have an undergraduate degree in a related field. Graduate students are preferred. Candidate should be creative, organized, flexible, and enjoy working with a small team on a myriad of tasks. Proficiency in Mac/PC environment with strong knowledge of print and web design.
Design: Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
Candidate must be able to multitask and oversee multiple projects simultaneously.
To apply please send your resume and a cover letter stating the reason for your interest to: email@example.com. No phone inquiries please. Salary is commensurate with industry standards and experience.