Perhaps you’re interested in learning more about non-faculty careers (whether you call them alt-ac careers, nonacademic careers, or alternative careers) in the areas of nonprofit, publishing, government, and education. (We are working on an event that’s more science and business focused for later this semester.)
In that case, join us for a chance to network with GC alumni working in non-faculty roles inside and outside the academy.
4-6 PM, GC Room 9204
Mentors will include:
• Jaime Cleland, English PhD, Senior Editor, Scholastic
• Kecia Hayes, Urban Education PhD, Director, TC REACH (Raising Educational Achievement Coalition of Harlem), Teachers College, Columbia University
• Gwynneth C. Malin, History PhD, Director, Humanities Initiative, New York University
• Anthony J. Maniscalco, Political Science PhD, Director, Edward T. Rogowsky Internship Program in Government and Public Affairs, CUNY
• Dana Milstein, English PhD, Academic Technology Specialist for the Humanities, Yale University
• Michael D. Porter, Earth and Environmental Sciences PhD, Director of Data Use and Strategic Analysis, NYC DOHMH
• Timothy Wilson, French MPhil, Associate, Foundation Relations, Carnegie Hall
You’ll have a chance to meet them in small group settings on the 20th. These alumni–representing various fields—will share details about how they started out in their career, offer tips for students about how to do the same, and explain what they like and find challenging about their jobs.
An RSVP is required for this event. You can do so here: goo.gl/Gw4rES.