Sacramento State is a teaching-focused institution and strongly values diversity and inclusion, especially in the classroom. The Department seeks qualified candidates who can contribute to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion through teaching, scholarship, and service. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Latin American History including those that relate to their specialization, as well as historical methods seminars, and undergraduate and graduate seminars. This position is part of a “Cultures of the Americas” cluster of searches in the College of Arts & Letters designed to provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to engage with scholars in the cluster, increase curricular coverage of Latin America, and promote inclusive teaching strategies across the university. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to the university’s goals in these areas. For more information on the Arts & Letters cluster see https://www.csus.edu/college/arts-letters/employment-opportunities.html
Additional position requirements include:
• engaging in research and scholarly activity related to Latin American History,
• advising majors,
• serving on department, college, and university committees,
• and applying professional expertise to community service, including a willingness to advance Sacramento State’s Anchor University initiative (https://www.csus.edu/experience/anchor-university/)
1. Ph.D. in History or related field. ABD will be considered. If ABD, all degree requirements must be completed by August 23, 2023.
2. Demonstrated ability or potential to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Latin American and seminars in historical methods.
3. Demonstrated ability or potential to work effectively with a diverse undergraduate and graduate student population.
4. Demonstrated ability or potential for teaching and research excellence.
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2022; position open until filled.
Candidates must upload the following attachments with the electronic application:
1. a cover letter addressing teaching and research;
2. a curriculum vitae, including contact information (phone and email) for 2 references;
3. a teaching portfolio including syllabi and a statement of teaching philosophy;
4. a diversity statement (see description below*);
5. a writing sample or example of published scholarship;
6. graduate transcripts (unofficial accepted, official required for interview).
*Applicants are requested to submit a diversity statement that demonstrates experience with or willingness to:
- develop and incorporate inclusive teaching strategies for different types of learners;
- and advance the History Department’s goal of promoting an anti-racist and anti-oppressive campus to recruit, retain, and mentor students from racial, ethnic, gender, and socio-economic backgrounds that are underrepresented in our academic field.
Applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experiences should note how their work will further Sac State’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as it relates to student success.
Candidates must also have two (2) recent letters of recommendation sent to the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, see full listing here – https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/519363/tenure-track-faculty-latin-american-history