Early Research Initiative/PublicsLab Summer Public Research Fellowships
Deadline for Applications: Tuesday, February 14, 2023, 5pm
The Early Research Initiative and the PublicsLab invite applications for research fellowships for Summer 2023. These $4,000 fellowships will be offered to Graduate Center Ph.D. students from any program conducting research whose main question is driven by public needs and priorities.
The primary responsibilities of the award winners will be to produce original research––including but not limited to a dissertation proposal or chapter––by September 2023. Fellowship recipients will also be required to produce a reflective 600-800 word blog post for the PublicsLab website in Fall 2023. Additional opportunities for social media contributions are possible.
Successful proposals will incorporate the following in a proposal no longer than 1000 words:
- Clear articulation of who the project’s public or publics are, what your connection to the public(s) is, how the research will reach them, and how it will be used
- Thoughtful discussion of the theory, method, and ethics of research behind the project
- Brief account of how this project relates to your progress in your program
Please note if the grant will be used to acquire a new skill or new area of knowledge that will advance your research. Priority will be given to projects with clearly identified community partners.
Please see the current CUNY/GC guidelines if your proposed research involves international travel.
To apply, send a detailed letter of interest describing your project that addresses the above points, a C.V., a current Graduate Center transcript (students may submit the unofficial student copy that can be printed from CUNYfirst), and a letter of support from your primary advisor.
Instructions for submitting your application:
1) Please combine the above materials (except for the letter of recommendation) into a SINGLE file (either as a pdf document or a word document). Use the following format when naming your document: Last Name, First Name, Program
2) Email your file directly to email@example.com. Please use your Graduate Center email address when sending the file.
Instructions for Faculty Recommenders:
1) Prepare your reference letter as a regular word or pdf document.
2) Please use the following format when naming your document:
Student Last Name, First Name
3) Email your file directly to firstname.lastname@example.org