The Early Research Initiative and the PublicsLab invite applications for research fellowships for Summer 2021. These $2,000 fellowships will be offered to Graduate Center Ph.D. students from any program conducting research whose main question is driven by public needs and priorities.
The primary responsibilities of the award winners will be to produce original research––including but not limited to a dissertation proposal or chapter––by September 2021. Fellowship recipients will also be required to produce a reflective 600-800 word blog post for the PublicsLab website in Fall 2021. Additional opportunities for social media contributions are possible.
Successful proposals will incorporate the following in a proposal no longer than 1000 words:
- Clear articulation of who the project’s public or publics are, what your connection to the public(s) is, how the research will reach them, and how it will be used
- Thoughtful discussion of the theory, method, and ethics of research behind the project
- Brief account of how this project relates to your progress in your program
Please note if the grant will be used to acquire a new skill or new area of knowledge that will advance your research. Priority will be given to projects with clearly identified community partners.
Current CUNY guidelines restrict the distribution of funds for travel outside of the state unless the recipient has received prior approval for their travel plans. While we maintain hope that conditions will improve by the summer, any award winner who proposes either domestic or international travel will need to attain permission for their trip prior to being able to access these grant funds.
To apply please send a detailed letter of interest describing your project that addresses the above points, a c.v., a current Graduate Center transcript (students may submit the unofficial student copy that can be printed from CUNYfirst), and a letter of support from your primary advisor.
Instructions for submitting your application:
1) Please combine the above materials (except for the letter of recommendation) into a SINGLE file (either as a pdf document or a word document). Use the following format when naming your document: Last Name, First Name, Program
2) Email your file directly to email@example.com. Please use your Graduate Center email address when sending the file.
Instructions for Faculty Recommenders
1) Prepare your reference letter as a regular word or pdf document.
2) Please use the following format when naming your document:
Student Last Name, First Name
3) Email your file directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 4 March 2021