Deadline: February 28, 2017 at 5pm
The Doctoral Students’ Council seeks candidates for the open position of Editor-in-Chief of The GC Advocate student newspaper. The Editor-in-Chief shall determine editorial policies while respecting the following priority: The GC Advocate shall primarily serve CUNY graduate students as a source of news and information pertaining to their rights and educational, cultural, and professional interests. The Editor-in-Chief determines editorial policy independently.
The new Editor-in-Chief will serve beginning March 2017. We seek candidates interested in continuing onto the 2017-2018 academic year. The Editor-in-Chief will be paid upon the publication of each issue of the paper. The rate of pay is equal to one-twelfth of the minimum salary for the title of Graduate Assistant B per issue (approximately $980/issue for six issues per academic year). In addition, the new Editor-in-Chief will be provided with office space and a budget to pay article contributors and buy supplies.
Applicants must be matriculated Graduate Center students in good standing and highly capable of independent work. In addition to other duties related to running a successful newspaper, the Editor-in-Chief shall be responsible for:
- hiring associate editors, freelance writers, photographers, and consultants;
- collaborating with associate editors and freelance writers, as well as the DSC Co-Chair
for Business and the paper’s printers;
- ensuring the general content, production schedule, and fiscal well-being of the
- producing a minimum number of issues in accordance with the operating budget;
- maintaining the GC Advocate website;
- ensuring distribution to CUNY graduate students; and
- ensuring meetings of the Advocate Advisory Board.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to the DSC Co-Chair for Student Affairs, Cecilia Salvi (firstname.lastname@example.org), by February 28 at 5:00 pm.