IT Media Services Aide Job Description
Information Technology (IT) provides and maintains a wide variety of voice, video and data systems to serve the Graduate Center community of students, faculty, staff and members of the public. GC students staffing the position of IT Media Services Aide assist with a wide variety of Audiovisual maintenance and operational matters, end-user support services and special projects and initiatives. The IT Media Services Aide must possess technical proficiency, a commitment to working as a member of a support team and dedication to customer service.
- Setup or configure computers, multimedia and audio-visual equipment for public and classroom events; this includes Windows and Mac based laptops & PC’s, sophisticated Camcorders & auxiliary equipment, fixed and portable LCD projectors and sound systems (wired and wireless microphones, speakers, cable routing, receivers and amplifiers). Duties also include setting up and operating video cameras and digital encoder, assisting with Video Streaming and live or recorded webcasts.
- Monitor classroom computers and audio-visual equipment functionality and status; assist instructors, students and other I.T. staff with operation and maintenance as necessary. This includes classroom PC’s & laptops, computer re-imaging, “Smart Classroom” equipment, projectors, PA systems, miscellaneous instrumentation, collaboration software and other classroom and meeting room applications
- Learn and practice equipment theory of operation (e.g., presentation switches, wireless receivers, amplifiers, Smart Boards, projectors, Crestron/AMX touch panels, video encoders, video editing, etc.), including room architecture and infrastructure
- Perform routine testing and problem diagnosis for audio-visual equipment (projectors, microphones, speakers, amplifiers, LCD/Plasma Displays).
- Utilize audio mixer software to calibrate and eliminate echo and feedback
- Ability to test equipment and preform basic troubleshooting
- Operate cameras and video equipment as called for
- Assist with Setup and breakdown of all onsite meetings
- Daily system testing to insure equipment and room functionality
- Escalate all “Next level” break fix issues to their manager for resolution
- Deliver a “white glove” level of customer service support to all clients
- Other duties as assigned.
- Students must be enrolled full time in order to apply for this position. (For example Ph.D. students must be registered for 7 credits/WIUs and MA students must be registered for 12 or more credits.)
- Basic understanding of wireless and wired microphones laptops, amplifiers, speakers, projectors, remote controls, and AV cabling.
- Basic computer knowledge and/or experience; this could include familiarity with specific desktop hardware or hands-on experience with particular software, power user proficiencies, hands-on experience with technology or similar skills and talents.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a project team;
- Good planning and organizational skills; attention to detail.
- Effective communication skills; proficiency with the English language.
- Reliability and dependability
Appointment and Compensation Notes
- Graduate Center students are employed as IT Media Services Aides by way of GC student employment appointments.
- During the fall and spring semesters, such students may be assigned to work up to 20 hours per week, funds permitting, when classes are in session; during winter and summer, such students may be assigned to work up to 35 hours per week, funds permitting, when classes are not in session.
- Students can be appointed on either a semester basis or an annual basis; appointments can be renewed without restriction.
- Students will be accountable for a contracted number of hours of work; weekly timesheets will be required.
- Compensation is based on a fixed hourly rate. There are no associated benefits.
- Applications from students are solicited throughout the year as vacancies arise. Vacancies can be filled at any time.
Hourly Wage: $18.00/Hour
Qualified and interested students should send their resumes to email@example.com by end of business Tuesday, July 24th.