The Ph.D. Program in History

at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York

GC EventsNews

GC library anti-racist initiatives

The Mina Rees Library of the CUNY Graduate Center declares our opposition to the racial terror and state-sanctioned violence that shape the lives of Black people in the United States. Black lives matter. We share the sorrow and rage of our community and stand in solidarity with protests against police brutality. We hold ourselves accountable to work against the policing of CUNY and its libraries. This statement affirms our commitment to anti-racist practice and our pledge to use our skills and resources to advance the production of knowledge for social justice.

After the library shared a statement (above) in solidarity with protests around police brutality we had a request from a GC student to use our platform to share resources from the Mina Rees collections focused on anti-racism and Black liberation. My colleague Alycia Sellie led this effort with significant contributions from Donna Davey. We have posted a list of resources here. We are also maintaining a public Zotero group for related readings. We hope these resources will be useful—we’ll be using them to start conversations in the library about advancing racial equity.

Emily Drabinski

Interim Chief Librarian

Mina Rees Library

The Graduate Center, City University of New York

917-495-7433

Join me in my online office.