Graduate Center CUNY JustPublics@365 Seeks Two Digital Fellows
JustPublics@365 is a year-long initiative within the Graduate Center CUNY to inspire informed public debate around issues of inequality and social justice by helping academics frame their research for the wider public and forging links among scholars, media professionals and political activists. This work is sponsored by a Ford Foundation grant, and it aims to enact multiple meanings of what “just publics” can look like.
The JustPublics@365 initiative seeks two Digital Fellows with technological and pedagogical skills to work on events, seminars, and conferences with Graduate Center faculty, students, and staff who work on issues of social injustice. We are especially interested in candidates whose research examines social inequality and have demonstrated excellence in one-on-one and small group teaching. The initiative aims to have a significant impact of the digital and social environment within the GC and beyond it, and we seek candidates who also are interested in this mission. You can read more about the JustPublics@365 initiative at https://justpublics365.commons.gc.cuny.edu/.
* A minimum of an MA in any field relevant to the project;
* Superior digital media, organizational and/or communication skills;
* Broad knowledge about digital media and academia;
* Ability to help train, monitor, and guide a range of faculty and graduate students in the use of digital media.
* Ph.D. candidate (ABD), or Ph.D.;
* Broad digital media skills, including web site design in WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Flickr, and/or altmetrics.
The responsibilities of each fellow will vary as needed, but duties may involve some or all of the following:
* Work with GC faculty members on digital scholarly projects and public digital profiles;
* Gather social media data and analyze these in order to examine the digital impact for JustPublics@365;
* Design websites for special events, faculty, and projects;
* Teach relevant workshops on social media, multimedia, and web technologies;
* Develop and maintain a social media presence for programs, offices, and initiatives;
Fellows will work under the supervision of the Project Manager of the JustPublics@365 initiative, Jen Gieseking, PhD, as well as the JustPublics@365 co-PIs, Professors Jessie Daniels, Professor Matthew K. Gold, and Provost Chase Robinson.
The total compensation for the award is $22,000. This funding can include a GC graduate assistant appointment that will carry eligibility to purchase low-cost NYSHIP health insurance (as well as in-state tuition remission for fellows who are within their first 10 registered semesters of study). JustPublics@365 Digital Fellows will be required to work a total of 450 non-teaching hours during the academic year. The appointment is from January 1st, 2013, through January 1st, 2014.
To apply, please send a short statement of interest (no more than 1-2 pages, double-spaced), a CV, a list of digital projects and teaching endeavors undertaken and/or completed, and the names of three references to email@example.com with “JustPublics@365 Digital Fellows Application” in the subject line. Please contact Jessie Daniels, Co-PI of JustPublics@365 and Professor of Sociology and Urban Public Health, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.
Applications must be received by December 7th, 2012 to be considered. A review of applications will begin immediately.