Historians for Peace and Democracy seeks a part-time organizer to carry out and develop campaigns. Role involves basic administrative work, experience in website development required. Campaigns focus largely on educational censorship/culture wars and US foreign policy.
A bit about Historians for Peace and Democracy:
Historians for Peace and Democracy (H-PAD) began in 2003 as Historians Against the War. Their immediate focus was halting the march to war in Iraq, and their broader mission was to oppose “the egregious curtailment of civil liberties and human rights at home and abroad, and the obstruction of world peace for the indefinite future.” In April 2017, in light of the election of Donald Trump, Historians Against the War broadened its mission and changed its name. Currently, they have a network of approximately 1,400 supporters and 160 active members, and are led by a ten-person Steering Committee. In 2023 their major focus is resisting the current culture wars by using their expertise as historians to combat the outrageous partisan assault on teaching the truth about the American past. They are working in alliance with such other national organizations as the Zinn Education Project, as well as providing resources, like Culture Wars Against Education Archive, that concerned citizens, students, journalists, and teachers at every level can use in the mutual struggle against the forces of ignorance and hate.
Areas of work/Responsibilities
- Outreach to historians, historically-minded activists, social studies teachers, and anyone concerned about attacks on the right to teach
- Aggressive social media projection of H-PAD’s work and those of its allies
- Upkeep of Culture Wars Against Education Archive
- Administrative support to the Steering Committee, including designing flyers and promotional materials, data clean-up, and assistance with technology.
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with academia/higher education, particularly History
- Social media fluency
- Website development and maintenance competencies
- Patience with varying levels of tech fluency among membership
$26 per hour, 5-10 hours per week (5 minimum guaranteed). Fully remote, with possibility of travel to professional conferences.
If interested, send a cover letter, highlighting any organizing experience, resume/CV, and the names/contact information of two references, to H-PAD Co-Chairs Margaret Power (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Van Gosse (email@example.com).