Job Openings – Teacher of History in the Middle and Upper Schools, The Brearley School
The Brearley School, an independent girls’ school serving over 700 students K-12, welcomes candidates for one full-time position and one three-quarter-time position as Teacher of History in the Middle and Upper Schools beginning August 2022. Three to five years of experience in teaching world history are preferred.
Founded in 1884, the school is a center of intellectual exuberance, attracting students from across and beyond New York City. Its mission has long combined outstanding academics with an insistence on a larger purpose: we seek to prepare our students for principled engagement in the world. In pursuit of this goal, we actively strive to build, nurture and sustain a diverse faculty and student body. We are committed to developing antiracist citizens for growth in an antiracist community, and we expect our faculty, staff, students, parents, and trustees to pursue meaningful change through deliberate and measurable actions.
We count on our faculty to create and maintain an atmosphere of honesty, generosity, and respect for the thoughts, efforts, and feelings of others.
We educate our students within a network of teachers who know them for years and recognize that children grow and flourish in their own time with the support of a curriculum that responds to their intellectual needs. As the Brearley curriculum has evolved through thoughtful, deliberate collaboration, we encourage all faculty to bring fresh ideas and new insights that might enhance a strong, beloved foundation.
The ideal candidate will:
- possess competence in anti-racist pedagogy
- commit to helping students think independently and develop confidence in their own abilities
- have a commitment to teaching both Middle and Upper School students
- have a degree in history or closely related field including but not limited to: art history, Middle Eastern history, South Asian history, and education
- have a genuine passion for and command of their subject matter
- possess excellent communication skills
- collaborate eagerly, and
- bring to their work a collegial spirit and a sense of humor. We invite interested candidates to apply for this position by completing an application and uploading a cover letter and resume at https://www.brearley.org/page/about/employment-opportunities.
The Brearley School is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to hiring exceptional, dedicated teachers of diverse backgrounds. We consider qualified individuals for employment with the School regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability or any other state or federally protected classification.