The Ph.D. Program in History

at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York

GC Events

March 4 – Getting Started with TEI with Filipa Calado

Please join me on Monday for a workshop I will be leading on behalf of the Digital Fellows and the Graduate Center Digital Initiatives.

This workshop, “Getting Started with TEI,” is a gentle but deep introduction to the theory and practice of encoding electronic texts for the humanities. It is designed for students and researchers who are interested in the transcription and digitization of manuscripts and print-based texts into diplomatic, digital formats. First, I will give an overview of TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) and its guidelines; second, I will lead a quick tutorial on how to implement the guidelines; and finally, for the bulk of the workshop, participants will get the opportunity to practice encoding a manuscript page in small groups. Throughout this work, we will discuss common issues with encoding, such as how handle complex textual data. In addition to familiarizing themselves with TEI and its theoretical contexts, participants will begin to use Github and oXygen, popular applications for work that involves electronic editing. No previous experience with encoding is necessary.

Please register by following the link on the bottom. The workshop takes place on Monday, March 4th, from 6:30pm-8:30pm, inroom 4419. Though all are welcome, spots are limited.

REGISTER HERE:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-started-with-tei-tickets-55502502479 [eventbrite.com]