MDRC is a leading social science and educational policy research organization that focuses on improving the well-being of people with low incomes. We are seeking an Editor with excellent copyediting and line/substantive editing skills to be a key member of our Publications Department, which produces more than 100 research reports and other publications per year. The position can be based in either MDRC’s New York City or Oakland, CA, office.
- Editing, copyediting, and proofreading book-length social science and education research reports, as well as briefs, other short documents, and materials—including text, tabular material, graphics, and infographics—for MDRC’s website, using MDRC’s editorial style conventions, which are based primarily on the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Under the supervision of the Publications Director, trafficking publications through the editing and production process, working with authors, research assistants, freelance editors, and report production staff.
- Participating in prepublication reviews of report drafts.
- Writing summaries and promotional and other materials for MDRC publications and website that make the findings of social science and education research accessible to a lay audience of policymakers, funders, and media.
Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of editorial experience required. Candidate must be highly organized, comfortable working against deadlines and juggling multiple projects, and able to pay careful attention to detail. Extensive experience with Windows and Microsoft Word’s Tracking feature is necessary. Experience editing data-driven graphic and tabular material is strongly preferred, as is familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style. Experience editing subject matter related to social policy or education is a plus.
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit under Social Policy Worker United (SPWU) – Local 57 of the American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
For more information and to apply, visit https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6162152.careers?ShowJob=419853410
Please see “What to expect from MDRC’s recruitment process” for more information.
Location: Based in MDRC’s New York City or Oakland, CA, office, but we anticipate a hybrid work environment through September 2022.
Compensation and benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits and relocation assistance offered. Some on-the-job training is provided.
Instructions: When submitting your application, please include:
- Cover letter, including the types of documents you’ve edited
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Please note that the health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us and that interviews (when scheduled) will be conducted via video conferencing. As a Federally Contracted employer, MDRC is in full compliance with all applicable regulations including, but not limited to, recent changes that require vaccination of employees of federal contractors. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated with one of the available COVID-19 vaccinations, unless they have sought and received an exemption from this policy due to a disability or other medical condition, or because of a sincerely held religious belief. Accommodations are granted in accordance with applicable law and regulations. Applicants must submit proof of vaccination or request and submit an applicable request for accommodation during the offer stage.