The Out-of-Door Academy (Sarasota, FL) seeks an Upper School History Teacher
Located on two campuses totaling 95 acres in beautiful, Sarasota, Florida, The Out-of-Door Academy (ODA) is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school serving 745 students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade.
Out-of-Door was founded on Siesta Key in 1924 to serve students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. In 1996, a second campus in the Lakewood Ranch area of Sarasota was acquired to accommodate the addition of an upper school. Over the past ten years, the school has experienced steady and impressive enrollment growth from 550 to 745 students. Both campuses have evolved and developed to meet the needs of a growing enrollment as well as to enhance and enrich the experience of every student at ODA. Today, the five-acre Siesta Key campus is home to the Lower School (PK-5), and the 90-acre Uihlein Campus in Lakewood Ranch houses both the Middle and Upper Schools. Facilities include interactive technology in every classroom, a fine and performing arts center with a black box theater, a student and STEM Center, a competition gymnasium with a wellness center, a field house, a lighted stadium, tennis courts and a practice complex. A new Middle School campus was recently completed and opened in August, 2020.
The Out-of-Door Academy seeks an Upper School History Teacher to join a thriving school that is committed to providing a rigorous, relevant, and student-centered learning experience for every student we serve. The ideal candidate will be passionate about teaching the whole child and will understand the value of contributing to the broader life of the school community, including advising, coaching, and leading extra-curricular activities.
For more information and to apply, click here.
(Note that the Chair of the Department of History is GC alum Ellen Zitani (PhD, 2013). GC applicants may contact APO Marilyn Weber for her direct email address.)
- Reporting to the Head of Upper School, the Upper School History Teacher will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and implement two (2) courses, focusing primarily on United States History and World History.
- Teach five (5) courses.
- Fulfill the role of an Upper School Advisor and clubs supervisor.
- Closely collaborate with Upper School faculty to support students, faculty, and families across the division.
- Live the school’s mission and core values of respect, integrity, service, excellence, and responsibility.
- Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, History or a related field required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of teaching experience in grades 6-12, ideally in an independent school setting.
- Demonstrated passion as an educator who employs current advances in education and can show demonstrated success with new pedagogy.
- Invest in making contributions beyond the classroom, such as advisory, clubs and coaching.
- Proficient with Word, Excel and the Google drive platform.
- A successful track record of working effectively with a wide range of constituencies including students, faculty, staff, and parents.
- An honest person who will live the school’s values and who effectively blends candor, care, and empathy in dealing with others, and whose style is rooted in honesty, transparency and collaboration.
- A thoughtful individual who embraces managed risk-taking and experimenting with new ideas, and is excited by the opportunity to help a well established and thriving independent school reach new levels of success.
- An approachable, collaborative professional, who values teamwork, builds meaningful relationships, listens well, and respects differences of opinion.
- A thinker who possesses excellent communication skills and a high level of emotional intelligence.
- A hard-working professional who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with high expectations.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a 10-month full-time exempt position beginning in August 2021. Compensation is highly competitive and commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
At Out-of-Door, we value a diverse workforce. Applicants of any race, creed, physical ability, color, religion, sex, age, gender, sexual orientation or national origin are encouraged to apply. Once an offer is accepted, the position will require the successful completion of a national background screening and drug testing.