Altfest Graduate Internship Program, Summer 2020
The Altfest Graduate Internship Program funds graduate student professional development in the form of summer internships. It allows students to create their own internship opportunity at an organization that best suits their academic interests and/or professional goals. Students who find a summer internship with an organization may then apply to the Altfest Graduate Internship Program for funding. The program provides $4,000 for the summer; interns are expected to work a minimum of 120 total hours. The manner in which these hours are completed can be flexible, and will be agreed upon with the host during the application process. The Office of Career Planning and Professional Development is happy to assist students with their internship searches.
Positions are open to PhD and/or Master’s students. Students must be currently enrolled to apply. Please plan to submit:
- A current CV or resume
- A one-page document explaining how the internship would further your career goals
- An email or letter from an employer confirming that you have been offered an internship with an organization
- The name and contact information of a professional reference.
Ideally, any proposed internship should help you:
- Gain exposure to career trajectories in the field
- Learn how an organization works, its structure, goals and the roles within it
- Identify ways in which you can expand your range of career options
- Build relationships that expand your personal and professional network.
Applications will be due April 15, 2020. Up to four students will be funded in the summer of 2020. Previous Altfest Internships have taken place at Open House New York, the Global Fund for Women, Litmus Press, Salon, Brooklyn Rail, ExpandED Schools, NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development, and the Office of the Inspector General for the New York Police Department. Candidates are encouraged to have their application materials reviewed through the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development before beginning their internship search.
Applications will be submitted through GC Connect, the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development’s job and internship database (search under job postings for Altfest Internship 2020). If you plan to apply but have not yet used GC Connect, detailed instructions can be found here: https://careerplan.commons.gc.cuny.edu/services