The CUNY Humanities Alliance invites applications for a Research Assistant Fellowship for the Spring 2024 semester to contribute to the research arm of the program. The Research Assistant will be based in the Futures Initiative office at the Graduate Center (GC) and report to the Senior Research Associate of the Humanities Alliance, joining an enthusiastic and collaborative community of staff and students. The Research Assistant will assist the Senior Research Associate with a wide variety of activities related to the Humanities Alliance.
With generous support from the Mellon Foundation, the CUNY Humanities Alliance supports undergraduate students in its CUNY Peer Leaders program and connects doctoral students to humanities teaching and learning experiences at four of CUNY’s community colleges: Hostos Community College, Borough of Manhattan Community College, Guttman Community College, and LaGuardia Community College.
Some of the research questions that the research team is exploring include but are not limited to:
- What similar public or private university programs for doctoral students are out there and what are they doing—what kind of professional development is being offered to graduate students for community college careers?
- What are similar undergraduate leadership programs doing at CUNY and elsewhere and what distinguishes the CUNY Peer Leaders from those programs?
- What makes the Humanities Alliance’s location at CUNY—and the Graduate Center in particular—as well as its methods stand out as unique from other programs?
- What do these mentoring communities provide to doctoral and undergraduate students that support their overall health and wellness?
Research Assistant duties include but are not limited to:
- Track activities of programs comparable to the Humanities Alliance;
- Identify academic conferences, calls for papers, and other opportunities relevant to the Humanities Alliance;
- Help organize, edit, and proofread presentations and publications about the Humanities Alliance;
The following are “ideal candidate” qualities:
- Manage multiple projects and deadlines in a dynamic, collaborative work environment;
- Maintain orderly and comprehensive physical and digital files;
- Understand organizational policies and procedures as necessary;
- Other tasks as assigned.
Must be a doctoral student within their first seven years of study at the GC who currently does not have a fellowship. The appointment is for one semester only and is not renewable.
COMPENSATION & HOURS
CUNY Humanities Alliance Fellowships offer one-semester compensation of approximately $14,500 (the exact number depends on prior service or appointment history with the Graduate Center). The GAB title provides eligibility to purchase the low-cost NYSHIP health insurance as well as in-state tuition remission for fellows who are within their first 10 registered semesters of doctoral study. The 2017-2023 PSC-CUNY Contract also provides in-state tuition remission at the Level 3 tuition rate for doctoral students for four additional semesters past the first 10 registered semesters of doctoral study as long as they are employed in a title recognized under Article 1 of the collective bargaining agreement.
This fellowship is a commitment of 15 hours per week during the 2024 Spring semester.