With generous support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the City University of New York (CUNY) is establishing a new program – Transformative Learning in the Humanities (TLH) – to focus on the transformation of the humanities classroom through innovative pedagogy. Specifically, TLH will seek to address shortcomings of traditional humanities teaching models and promote the democratization of the humanities classroom through active and participatory learning. This transformative model will prepare humanities students for a world that requires collaboration, written and spoken communication, project management, critical thinking, analytical reading, cross-cultural thinking, and ideation.
Based in the CUNY Office of Academic Affairs and reporting to the University Grants Manager of the TLH program, the TLH Program Assistant will join an institution with strong support for teaching and the humanities and will be part of an enthusiastic and collaborative community of faculty members and staff working together to educate and equip the next generation of students and scholars. The TLH Program Assistant will perform a wide variety of administrative, financial, office management, and clerical responsibilities related to the program.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and maintain the program’s budget in Excel, including budget reconciliation and tracking, and, working with appropriate staff, assist in purchasing and other expense procedures for the program.
- Maintain orderly and comprehensive physical and digital files.
- Assist the University Grants Manager with TLH events at sites across CUNY and contribute to event planning and communications.
- Process timely payments to TLH Faculty Fellows.
- Monitor office supplies and make recommendations for purchases as needed.
- Facilitate communication and act as liaison; assist with public communications and a strong media presence (social media and traditional media) for grant-related activities
- Act as the program’s representative to external constituents as needed.
- Understand organizational policies and procedures necessary.
Location: Central Office – Office of Academic Affairs
Full/Part Time: Part-Time, 20 hours per week
One year of relevant experience required. At least 2 years of college preferred.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, training or certifications:
- Experience working in higher education, especially within CUNY
- Experience with financial tracking or working on a grant-funded project
- College coursework within the humanities, social sciences, higher education administration or related area
- Experience assisting in organizing events
- Experience working collaboratively in diverse and interdisciplinary environments
- Experience working with and commitment to diverse communities
- Interest in working with and supporting underserved student populations
- Computer proficiency using MS Office and Excel, web-based tools/programs and digital or social media applications
$20 – $25 per hour, commensurate with education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and CV/resume to TLH@cuny.edu, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
Open until filled; the review of resumes will begin in mid-September
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: College Assistant
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.