Residential Research Fellowships: Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington at Mount Vernon
The Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington offers fellowships to support the growing community of scholars whose research focuses on George Washington, Colonial America, the Revolutionary Era, and Early Republic. Both long and short-term fellowships are available for trained scholars of all professional levels.
Fellowships will be awarded to applicants whose research focuses on the life, leadership and legacy of George Washington and his place in the development of American civic life and culture. Applications will also be evaluated on their relevance to the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association’s mission, which is to preserve, restore, and manage the estate of George Washington and to educate visitors and people throughout the world about his life, legacies, character, and leadership.
These funded research opportunities are available to doctoral candidates at dissertation stage, have a PhD or have standing as an advanced scholar in a relevant field. Applicants may be U.S. residents or international scholars with permission to enter the U.S. for this purpose.
Short-term (up to three months) and long-term (up to six months) applicants will be considered for the 2015-16 fellowship program. Short-term fellowships are valued at $10,000. Long-term fellowships are valued at $20,000. Both types of fellowships may include housing at the DeVos House and round-trip airfare or mileage reimbursement for one trip to and from the scholars’ residence. Research may be conducted beginning in September 2015 and should be completed prior to September 2016.
How to Apply
- Applications are now being accepted for 2015-16 Fellowships.
- Please provide your curriculum vitae, a 1,000-word fellowship proposal highlighting how you plan to use our collection and research assets, and two letters of recommendation sent confidentially to Mount Vernon.
Completed applications must be received by December 31,2014.
- Submit applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed applications must be received by December 31,2014.
- For more information call 703.799.8686 or visit Mount Vernon.org/Fellowships
- applications will be reviewed by a panel of scholars assembled by Mount Vernon. Awardees will be notified on or before George Washington;s birthday, February 22, 2015.